Michelin commissions Eiffage Polska Budownictwo SA to carry out two development projects in its Olsztyn plant
Eiffage Polska Budownictwo (EPB) is working on two development projects in the Michelin plant in 9, Leonharda street in Olsztyn. The first concrete has now been cast.
The Olsztyn-based tire manufacturing plant has operated uninterruptedly for 50 years. For the last 22, it has been owned by the French company Michelin, and, with 5,000 employees, it is currently one of the largest plants of this kind in the world. Until now, the plant has manufactured a total of more than 230 million tires.
In October 2021, Michelin appointed Eiffage Polska Budownictwo (EPB) as the general contractor under its “SKY” project, which involves building a new manufacturing floor, as well as all the necessary infrastructure work on the premises of the existing tire plant. The plant will be manufacturing a butyl rubber mix used in tires. The role of EPB as the General Contractor will also be to deliver a detailed design of the manufacturing floor and its associated infrastructure.
“Thanks to the ‘SKY’ project, the Olsztyn plant will become more independent in terms of semi-finished materials, which will boost Michelin’s competitive edge in the market. We believe our cooperation with Eiffage puts us in a position to achieve that goal”, says Michał Zdunkiewicz, SKY Project Manager at Michelin Polska.
At the same time, Michelin Polska entrusted Eiffage with important tasks under the “SANCHO” project, which involves building a manufacturing and warehousing space for the production of micronized rubber powder (MRP), along with offices and associated infrastructure.
The buildings covered by the “SANCHO” and “SKY” projects will be situated close to one another. The projects are scheduled to be completed by the fall of 2022 and in early 2023, respectively.
“Eiffage Polska Budownictwo has an important track record of carrying out industrial investments. We have already carried out redevelopments at the Michelin plant in Olsztyn before, so we are happy to be able to contribute to the growth of one of the largest manufacturing plants in the world once again”, says Aleksander Semczuk, North Region Director and Board Member at Eiffage Polska Budownictwo.
Eiffage Polska Budownictwo SA is an experienced contractor specializing in industrial construction. It was responsible for the development of the manufacturing floor at the Unilever plant in Poznań, the previous redevelopment of the Michelin plant in Olsztyn, as well as the construction of manufacturing floors at Volkswagen plants in Września and Antoninek.
The “SKY” project in figures:
- Building 450 – the main, one-story manufacturing building with mezzanines, including: the MEL/MEF process, a forklift loading zone, an office, restrooms, an IT room, an electrical rooms, a fire control room, and a transformer room.
- Building 451 – a one-story amenity building linked to the manufacturing floor, including: a canteen, offices, conference rooms, restrooms, locker rooms, and other spaces for staff.
- Building 457 – a one-story warehouse, including: unloading docks, astorage system, filler storage spaces, a servicing space, a logistics office, and driver amenities (restrooms, an engine test stand).
- Building 455 – an external warehouse where process oil containers are installed.
The “SANCHO” project in figures:
- A one-story manufacturing and warehousing space. The building is divided into a warehousing floor, a manufacturing floor, and a warehousing floor. Loading/unloading docks are designed in the outer walls of the warehousing floors.
- A two-story technical complex immediately adjacent to the manufacturing and warehousing section.
- A two-story office building with direct access to the manufacturing and warehousing section. The section includes: a canteen, a meeting room, locker rooms, restrooms, utility rooms, offices, sanitary facilities, and staff rooms.
- Road infrastructure, including: a service yard, internal roads, sidewalks, parking spots, and a manufacturing technology space.