Construction of the senior care home complex will start in January: Care home with assisted living and Alzheimer’s Centre on Szkolna Street in Poznań
ORPEA Polska and Eiffage Polska Budownictwo SA signed a contract for the construction of the Rezydencja Na Szkolnej care home in Poznań. The investment is the result of the reconstruction of post-hospital buildings located on Szkolna and Kozia Streets. The scope of works commissioned to the General Contractor includes comprehensive implementation of the investment in the “turnkey” system. It is scheduled to open in late 2023/2024.
The Residence will have 209 beds in single and double rooms, including an Alzheimer’s Centre, day care lounges on each floor, a rehabilitation room, an occupational therapy and hydrotherapy room, its own kitchen with restaurant and a library. The project also includes Senior Apartments, which are implemented in the formula of assisted living – flats for seniors who can live independently, while being provided with professional medical and technical care and additional services tailored to individual needs.
The entire area where the senior citizens’ residence is being built is part of the urban and architectural ensemble of the Old Town, listed in the register of historical monuments. This is one of the largest revitalisation projects in Poland, which will involve the comprehensive renovation of the former Discalced Carmelite Sisters monastery and the facade of the former hospital on School Street, as well as an exhibition of medieval walls.
“I’m very pleased that we can announce the start of construction of a senior care home complex under the brand name ORPEA Rezydencje in the heart of Poznań. The city centre location is of great importance to older people and families who want to be able to easily reach the Care Home, be close to the city infrastructure and, above all, remain at the centre of local community life. As in all our facilities, also in Poznań we will apply solutions of a higher standard, following the knowledge and international experience of the Group in this area. By creating the highest standard of residence and care, we will ensure comfort and a sense of security for residents and families”, says Beata Leszczyńska, President of the Management Board of ORPEA Polska.
The usable area of the investment, which will be carried out by Eiffage Polska Budownictwo, amounts to approx. 12,700 sq.m. It will include gardens, therapeutic paths and an outdoor gym. Between the buildings, in the courtyard, a large green area will be created, part of which will be open and accessible to all Poznań residents. The care home complex will also include a café, suitable for the elderly, which will highlight the medieval walls of the town.
“The revitalisation of historical buildings and the change of use of monuments is close to the activities of the Eiffage Group. Respect for place and history is evident in many completed buildings, such as French castles. In Poland, we’re proud of the ORPEA Group’s Rezydencja na Dyrekcyjnej in Wrocław, where we have transformed a 19th century hospital into a Senior Citizen’s Centre, or Krakow’s Angel Wawel, where a monastery complex has been transformed into a prestigious apartment building”, says Aleksander Semczuk, Director of the Northern Region and Member of the Management Board of Eiffage Polska Budownictwo S.A. “We are happy to once again be trusted by ORPEA Poland, entrusting us with the realisation of an ambitious project in Poznań. It is here that we built the Posnania centre and revitalised the former tramway depot on Gajowa Street in Jeżyce, where a residential, office and service complex has been developed. We have also recently completed the luxurious ‘Manufaktura Stare Miasto’ buildings on the site of the 19th century Akwawit Spirits Factory buildings. Rezydencja Na Szkolnej in Poznań will be another Eiffage realisation in the spirit of a modern approach to revitalisation”, he adds.
The entire area where the investment is located is part of the urban and architectural ensemble of the Old Town, entered in the register of historical monuments. The most important historical element in the complex – apart from the remains of the city walls – is the wing of the former convent of the Discalced Carmelite Sisters. All activities in its area had to be preceded by a survey and the approval of the Municipal Conservator of Monuments. The monastery building left over from the suppression of the Carmelite order was adapted in 1854. After the old floor was demolished, three new storeys were added, thus creating the oldest hospital wing that has survived to the present day. In the late 1970s and early 1980s. In the late 19th century, a new hospital building was constructed along the western frontage of the Szkolna Street. Further construction is planned along the newly delineated extension of this street to the south. Close to the post-convent wing of the hospital, a series of utility and sanitary buildings were erected between 1892-94. Some of these were modernised around 1904, when new boiler house and kitchen buildings were constructed. Hipolit Cegielski’s villa, erected in 1861, and a number of tenement houses along the Podgórna Street, dating from the last two decades of the 19th century and the first decade of the 20th century.